Saturday, August 7, 2010

Travels with Sean


As promised, I’m posting a blog entry about my trip with Sean. Rather than give you a play-by-play, I will post pictures and tell stories as I remember them. Here’s one:


Seashells
In Vilankulo we stayed at a beachside hostel called Baobab Beach Backpackers. On the second to last day, we went for a long walk to collect seashells. There were some magnificent ones like you might buy in a gift shop and we got a little excited. Later, as we emptied out the shopping bag on a table at the hostel, we saw the extent of our cache and, with a little guilting from one of the other guests, we agreed to put most of them back on the beach and save only the best few. The next day we took a 5 hour chapa ride to Maxixe then a wooden boat across Inhambane bay and another chapa up the peninsula to Tofo beach. At Tofo we stayed in a reed bungalow, also on the beach. The second day at Tofo after it had gotten dark, I was sorting through my bag when I heard a strange rustling sound. I was sure it was a rat since we had seen rat droppings in the room so I started looking around. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of my seashells from Vilankulo rocking back and forth. I picked it up and found a hermit crab! Somehow he had survived in a plastic bag for three days! I named him “Frankie” and walked him down to the waters edge, gave him a little hermit crab pep talk and let him go. There wasn’t a hermit crab or shell to be seen, but I figured he’s a survivor. Now and then I think of Frankie dragging his shell along the wet sand in the moonlight and wonder if he’s enjoying a second chance at hermit crab life.


There’s another great one about a goat, but I’ll get to that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment