Saturday, October 3, 2009

Off to the village

What's it like so far? Well, we have been staying in a swanky hotel in the capital for the last two days and have not been allowed to leave the premises, so I don't feel like I am really in Mozambique yet. My arms are sore from vaccinations and I think there are more to come. I started my malaria medication (Larium) last night and had some funky dreams, but no major side effects. We have had lots of info sessions and Q&A's with volunteers. It seems like it's going to be the real deal. Nothing cushy about it.

Enough of this luxury hotel business. Today I'll get to meet my host family, learn to take a bucket bath, eat some Mozambican cuisine, go to the market, set up my water filter and mosquito net, and do all of the other various "settling in" activities. It's going to be interesting, especially with the communication barrier. I can't wait and I'm sure I will have some crazy crazy stories to report the next time I can post on my blog.

Please not that I will have VERY limited access to communications, so it may be a week or more before I can contact home or post on this blog.

Also, please do not worry. I am being extremely well cared for. The Peace Corps Mozambique staff have everything figured out. All is well organized and they are super concerned with my health and well being. Our host families have been trained on how to care for us during our adjustment to life here and we have staff living in our neighborhoods within walking distance. In addition, we will all be getting cell phones and have cards with the phone numbers of all relevant Peace Corps staff (directors, medical officers, etc...).

Anyway here goes! I am keeping a good sense of humor and am expecting some fun and hilarious situations in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment